Work With Us
Trail Mix crews primarily work in partnership with the US Forest Service, State Parks and the CBJ. Crew Members perform manual labor and work outdoors in all types of weather conditions. Crew Members are expected to learn and apply trail building skills, actively participate in training events, practice appropriate safety procedures in all tasks assigned, and use, maintain and repair hand and power tools as necessary.
Start/end date: 5/3/2021 – 8/31/2021*
*Our seasons frequently run later, but we ask that crew are available through August at a minimum.
General Crew Member Responsibilities
- Under the direction of crew leader, safely use hand tools and mechanized equipment such as power tools, chainsaws, excavation equipment, and brushers
- Under the direction of crew leader, participate in trail construction and maintenance projects such as constructing structures, drainage improvements, and brushing and clearing trails
- Perform physical labor for extended periods in frequently adverse weather conditions
- Contribute to a positive team attitude
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds consistently, work outside with exposure to inclement weather, and travel over varied terrain; all with reasonable accommodations.
- No previous trail crew or conservation experience is required to apply for this position. A general comfort and previous knowledge of working/living in an outdoor setting is helpful.
Successful Applicants are able to:
- Work effectively as a member of a team to overcome challenges.
- Contribute to a welcoming and inclusive environment for all crew members.
- Effectively communicate ideas and concerns as they arise directly to your fellow crew members.
- Perceive and comprehend significant and apparent hazards to maintain a safe work site
- Respond appropriately to potentially stressful and difficult circumstances in the field.
- Learn and practice ‘Leave no Trace’ techniques
Trail Mix is an equal opportunity employer and maintains a work environment free from discrimination and where employees are treated with dignity and respect. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.