Trail Mix, Inc. is currently hiring trail crew and trail crew lead positions for its upcoming 2020 season. Trail Mix is a non-profit organization in Juneau, Alaska that works closely with local, state, and federal agencies to develop and maintain a trail system in the City & Borough of Juneau.
Trail work provides an exciting opportunity to work outdoors as part of a team to accomplish trail projects that facilitate the access and enjoyment of public trails. The work can be both physically and mentally demanding, but ultimately very rewarding.
GENERAL CREW MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of crew leader, safely use hand tools and mechanized equipment such as:
- Power tools
- Excavation equipment
- Under the direction of crew leader, participate in trail construction and maintenance projects such as:
- Constructing structures (i.e. bridges, retaining walls, stairs, turnpike, etc.)
- Drainage improvements (i.e. water bars, switchbacks, culverts, etc.)
- Brushing and clearing trails
- Perform physical labor for extended periods infrequently adverse weather conditions.
- Push, pull, and lift heavy objects as well as walk long distances over rugged terrain.
- Contribute to a positive team attitude
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend overnight work trips, up to 8 days
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 10 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment including hiking and backpacking at least 6 miles daily in a variety of terrain
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and the willingness to learn
- Cultural competency experience and ability to work with people of diverse races, ages, genders, abilities and economic backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and contribute to a team effort
- Ability to remain calm during an emergency situation
- Ability to work weekends and 10‐hour days
Crew Member – $14.50/hr (Depending on Experience)
Crew Leader – $19/hr (Depending on Experience)
Typical seasons are May-October, but start and end dates are flexible.
Please apply by emailing a resume and application to:
or mailing to:
Trail Mix, Inc.
P.O. Box 35693